Friday, December 17, 2010

Best albums of 2010

Hey all,

Time for the yearly roundup of the best albums of 2010. I wont rank them as I come in and out of music so much that at any point these would be #1 on my playlist. Also the criteria is a little looser than most lists, in that these are albums that I found in 2010 not that they were necessarily released in 2010. Ready..here we go


Brothers by The Black Keys




Phenomenal blues/rock album. This sounds like its straight out of the late 70's. Awesome hooks, melodys and arrangements, muddy as hell. I came into them a little late but am A+ #1 superfan now. Simply some of the most talented musicians out there right now.


The Blueprint 3 by Jay-Z




I really resisted Jay for a long time, I was firmly implanted in west coast hip-hop for a long time, it was rare for an east coast record to infiltrate my collection. But now that im a little older and wiser I realize that east coast hip-hop jams just as hard. This album is really grown up, the lyrics are about more adult, wider ranging topics and musically it is so big and epic. This is what I really loved about west coast music. Typically east coast stuff is more laid back and subtle whereas west coast cats just go for it, big anthems, big beats lots of effects. Jay throws it down, keep 'em comin HOVA.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kayne West




Simply amazing. Kayne is a toolbag of the 10th degree but goddamn does he know how to make a record. This record spans a wide range of emotion musically. This is a must have in any music lovers collection. Thanks Kayne!

Contra by Vampire Weekend



Great record, catchy and addictive. They defiantly have a sound that is uniquely theirs similar to System of a Down. Its crazy, off the wall shit. Not for everyone but if they get to you your going to really appreciate them. They hold a special place for me. Awesome summer jam!


Recovery by Eminem




The slimest of shadys is back for with a really heartfelt record that is a throwback to his early days. Overall this album is not the best, but when 4 or 5 tracks that bang are the shit. A couple of stand out tracks are Cold Wind Blows and No Love with Lil Wayne. Mainly the record is about Em's trip through addiction and recovery, but there are some goofy moments on the record too. A solid 3 out of 5.

So there you have it. There are some albums coming in 2011 that I am really looking forward to. Some of my favorite artists like Rise Against, 311 and Incubus are all planning to drop new shit next year. But for now I will leave you with a sample of a side project called Times of Grace featuring Jesse and Adam from Killswitch Engage, enjoy the album drops in January!!

Click here



Merry Christmas, bitches

-Skipper


No comments: